Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Paraquat

A large majority (93%) of fatalities from paraquat poisoning are cases of intentional self-administration, i.e., suicides. In third world countries, paraquat is a "major suicide agent".[11] For instance, in Samoa from 1979–2001, 70% of suicides were by paraquat poisoning. In southern Trinidad from 1996–1997, 76% of suicides were by paraquat.[12]

The reason paraquat is such a widely used suicide agent in third-world countries is due to its widespread availability, low toxic dose (10 ml or 2 teaspoons is enough to kill) and relative low cost. There are campaigns to control or even ban paraquat outright, and there are moves to restrict its availability by requiring user education and the locking up of paraquat stores.
en.wikipedia.org
Paraquat is the trade name for N,N′-dimethyl-4,4′-bipyridinium dichloride, one of the most widely used herbicides in the world. Paraquat, a viologen, is quick-acting and non-selective, killing green plant tissue on contact. It is also toxic to human beings and animals.
Why do I bring this up?  Because until yesterday, in writing an entry to http://grownfoods.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-journey-chris-j-slater.html I became aware of this product that I've used in he past, in my ignorance (or was deliberately misinformed). I had no knowledge of the real toxicity of this product, only was told that it will be "neutralized" by contact with soil. In researching what I'm writing, I'm becoming more informed about my part in the problem and reconsidering how I can be part of the solution...I now take the position that a weed is only a plant I don't want there, but in fact there is a purpose for everything. I now know there is a FAR better way. Let me introduce you to Masanobu Fukuoka's Natural Farming and Permaculture  http://www.permaculture.com/node/140

No comments:

Post a Comment