Friday, January 28, 2011

No Flouride in Nanaimo water? Not So!

Woo Hoo! I just LOVE this! Nanaimo doesn't add fluorides, but there are dangerous levels of naturally occurring (?) fluorides!

Amanda Orum as reported on http://www.nanaimo-info-blog.com/search?q=Amanda+Orum  is Questioning Authority!

Hi Amanda:  WATER is one of the necessities of life. Congratulations on your "Questioning Authority", and "Flouride in Nanaimo Water" . Never mind the Pooh Bears, there will always be those who buy the official line, hook and sinker. But I agree we should do background research first.

Here is some good research and good background information: a 4 part series: Professor Paul Connett: Your Toxic Tap Water 1/4 - NaturalNews.tv http://www.naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=3A17BA64419AB10AAFA1FF6542AB131E

Dr. Paul Connett, Professor of Chemistry at St. Lawrence University in New York, gives a damning interview on the history of water fluoridation, the collusion of major industries to put certified toxins in our water.

And then I Googled: Is Nanaimo tap water flouridated?
and got:


http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Zqv2k3_f6w8J:www.islandwaterworks.ca/water_testing/fluoride.php+%22s+tap+water+flouridated+in+Nanaimo&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.ca

which lead me to:

Where have high fluoride levels been found in B.C. well water?

The Ministry of Environment evaluated the results of groundwater samples obtained between 1977 and 1993 through the Water Quality Check Program. Of over 8,500 samples analyzed for fluoride, 270 or 3.1% had fluoride levels above the Canadian drinking water guideline of 1.5 mg/L, and 0.1% of samples had fluoride concentrations greater than or equal to 10 mg/L. High concentrations of fluoride in groundwater were observed in rural wells in the upper rural area of  Westbank and near the communities of Armstrong, Duncan, Enderby, Gabriola Island, Ladysmith, Nanaimo, Okanagan Falls, Penticton, Salmon Arm, Saltspring Island, and Vernon. Fluoride levels above the drinking water guideline may also occur locally in other regions of the province.

My source of drinking water is from the Cassidy Aquifier http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wsd/plan_protect_sustain/groundwater/gwbc/C132_Pulp_Mills.html in Ladysmith. I rent here, but for many years I have lived in Langford, Crofton, Nanaimo and Ladysmith. I used to travel Vancouver Island and the Sunshine coast and call on the pulp and paper mills.

In 1978, I well remember being in Crofton and Port Alice and seeing yellow, black and brown, one to two foot deep, billowing yellow "curds" floating on the saltwater. I asked and was told, "Oh, we're just getting rid of the black liquor!" I asked if there weren't laws in place but was told it was "cheaper" to pay the fines than to properly recycle. So much for Corporate Responsibility!

Got me thinking? Why high, dangerous levels of flourides where I've been living for years. God forbid that those industries (PULP MILLS) on Vancouver Island at Crofton, Nanaimo, Port Alice, Port Alberni, Tahsis and Campbell River have been dumping their by-products from the bleaching process for years, (until recently) into the saltchuck, spewing them up the stacks and stockpiling effluent on the land. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_pollution

and then there are the abandoned mines and coal mines on the islands, what are they contributing?
http://www.miningwatch.ca/
http://www.protectfishlake.ca/media/amd.pdf
http://www.safewater.org/PDFS/resourcesknowthefacts/Mining+and+Water+Pollution.pdf

And what about the the Vancouver Island Garbage Dumps?
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/regions/vanc_island/env-mgt/csra-soil-disposal.htm

There ARE people who are concerned about this:  There was a gentleman, name of Allister ? who was putting out a proposal to use our garbage, limestone from Texada Islands, coal and other locally available feedstuffs to make cinderblocks. If you know the story, please refresh my memory by commenting below?

Years ago I decided to do something personally about making sure my water is fit to drink.
So for about 20 years I have purified my drinking and cooking water using a water distiller and most recently a Sears water distiller. http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/682987/. I think the Chinese are manufacturing a similar unit now, Sears only supplies parts for their own units. I got mine at the Parksville Recycle Depot , about 5 years ago. I got the illustrated unit at a garage sale at the Ladysmith Legion a few yers back, but have since sold it to a friend.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention some who have offered solutions:??

Welcome to the Island! This is the best place in the world, but it's under heavy attack!

2 comments:

  1. I welcome your comments and questions. I may not always have the answers right away, but I know where to get them! Best regards, Chris J. Slater, Ladysmith, BC, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my questions about fluoride would be a) does the city of Nanaimo add fluoride and b) what is the actual level of fluoride at the end-user level (ie coming out of the tap)?

    The answer to A appears to be no; I just don't see any reason why a city official would lie about this. BUT, if well water around the area has high levels of fluoride and Nanaimo's water treatment does not remove fluoride, then it is possible that tap water would have high fluoride levels. I'm not sure of the source of Nanaimo's reservoir.

    I'm actually more worried about heavy metals and chlorine in water. People don't realize that many 'healthy' things they consume (green tea is one off the top of my head) also have high levels of fluoride. I have always used in-home reverse osmosis.

    then there's the whole debate about fluoride. i personally think it's unnecessary, as avoiding sugar, using xylitol toothpaste/mouthwash, and consuming adequate D3 will, in my opinion, prevent most dental caries.

    ReplyDelete